Above all, try something. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

Monday, March 28, 2011

Elk, Antelope, and Mule Deer~ OH MY!

 Sometimes just a simple drive to town seems like a ride through a wild safari.
First, we ran into a herd of Elk attempting to cross the road...
 I like their noses.
 That's the rest of the herd, way off in the distance.
 Next, a small herd of antelope also decide the grass must be greener (or least less frozen) on the other side.



And lastly, our local herd of Mule deer fording the Jack Creek. They don't care if the water is 40 degrees.
Our work today on the goat shed has been temporarily halted due to inclement weather, if you can imagine that. I think I may hunker down inside this afternoon for some tomato plant transplanting and some fiddle time.
Take care, and don't worry, Monday's almost over.
~J.C.C.'s

3 comments:

  1. I love the elk too. We have a herd that hangs out on our road and I can sit and watch them forever. No antelope tho! They are beautiful! And we don't have mule deer, we have blacktail, and I like to watch 'em as long as they stay away from my roses! Makes your drive to town pretty interesting, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! We all need to fall in love with nature! Are the deer in rough shape like the deer in VT are? meaning at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hardt, the deer here have had a rough winter. The mountains got alot of snow early on in November and it hasn't stopped. The whitetails travel to lower elevations and river beds, but the mule deer tend to stay up higher. I would bet their numbers were reduced a bit due to winter kill.

    ReplyDelete